What are your goals in life? Maybe your focus is professional growth, maybe you are working towards physical fitness, proficiency in a new hobby, or perhaps you are looking to dive deeper into your spiritual life. Practice makes perfect, they say. But is there more to it than that?
Whatever you are working at, Dave Durand of The Dave Durand Show on Relevant Radio® explains that you can become an expert if your training involves these four components:
- Repetition – You need to do something over and over to become an expert.
- Frequency – Clearly, if you play the piano 100 times over the course of your lifetime, you won’t become an expert. Practice playing the piano 100 times in a month, and now you’re getting somewhere.
- Intensity – What is your motivation? For pilots learning to fly, they are motivated by not wanting to crash a plane and die. For someone immersed in a foreign language in another country, the need to communicate to find a bathroom is more intense than for someone sitting in a high school Spanish classroom.
- Purpose – Why am I doing this? Am I training for a marathon just for fun, or do I need to get in shape in order to increase my quality of life? Am I taking ballet lessons because my mom told me to, or do I have a passion for dance and maybe want to make a career out of it one day?
These four components can guide you as you work at getting a promotion at work, becoming a master birdwatcher, and even to become a saint.
Take this as an example: Praying the Rosary
- Repetition – You have prayed it many times
- Frequency – You begin to pray it daily
- Intensity – You have an important intention you bring before Our Lord and the Blessed Mother during your prayers
- Purpose – You desire to grow closer to Christ through His Mother
Seems to me that if you pray the Rosary daily for years on end, and work to meditate on the mysteries of the Rosary and grow in faith and love as you pray, that makes you an expert at praying the Rosary! My bet is that you have grown in relationship with the Blessed Mother and you have also come to know Her son, Jesus, on a much deeper level. You know all of the prayers, and have memorized the mysteries. And the virtues you have cultivated through this time of prayer – love, trust, obedience, patience, etc. – have helped you to become a better person overall.
What will you become an expert of?
Tune in to The Dave Durand Show Saturdays at 10am CT and Sundays at 6pm CT, only on Relevant Radio®.